Working with Parents and Families - Sydney
Conference venue: Cambridge Hotel, Sydney
Date: Friday 3rd August 2018
Time: 9am – 4pm
PD Points: 7
Many Counsellors and Therapists are referred a child or adolescent and quickly realise they also need to work with the parents. Some must even conduct sessions with one or both parents and the child/adolescent. Unfortunately, many counsellors are just not trained on how to set up these sessions or how to "hold"all the moving parts of this work. Sometimes there are competing needs in this work which raises ethical concerns for the counsellor. Family work can be daunting but in this one-day seminar participants will be taught the basic skills to work inter-personally.
The course is designed to give both beginner and experienced therapists the opportunity to learn systemic concepts when working with family groups and to build confidence. Participants will be introduced to systemic ideas – drawing from Milan, Narrative and Solution-Focused approaches among others. There will be an introduction to hypothesising and circular questioning. Students will also learn how to engage more than one person, how to keep the session balanced and manage various personalities and the issues that come with this.
This practical course will outline how to manage tricky situations that occur when the Therapist has to work with entire families.
- Participants will understand how to work with a genogram.
- Participants will understand how to engage family members and keep the session balanced.
- Participants will understand how to manage their own anxiety and potential trigger responses to family situations.
- Participants will understand when to work with parents when working with either a child or an adolescent.
- Participants will understand how to set up boundaries around this work.
- Participants will understand how to manage step and blended family presentations.
- Participants will understand how to work with circular questions.
- Participants will understand how to hypothesise.
- Participants will feel more confident approaching family work.
Jacqueline will share her extensive knowledge, clinical experience and practical approaches and methods throughout the day.
So register now and find out how you can coach help parents and families in constructive, open, positive communication.
Jacqueline McDiarmid MCFT, B.Couns., Dip. Psych, is the Director of the Sydney Couple and Family Specialists, a private practice in Sydney and the Director of The Couple and Family Training Centre where she runs professional development training sessions and a mentoring program for those who wish to work in couple and family therapy. She currently lectures in the Masters program at the Jansen Newman Institute and guest lecturers at various universities. Jacqueline is well known for her work with couples and families and is passionate about offering clients the opportunity to experience a safe and productive place to work with well trained Couple and Family Therapists. Jacqueline is a Clinical Member of the Family Therapy Association of Australia and a Clinical Member of PACFA.
Normally Priced at: $310.00 + GST
Earlybird price (Ends 12th July 2018) $259.00 + GST